Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Year to Save

I know that there are a lot of concerned people about the economy. I feel as long as we are prepared there is not too much to worry about. I in the past have been a huge consumer. I have always saved but this year I found out I could have saved so much more. I have had the same weekly budget for 15 years and almost always spent it all or more. As I was setting a budget for the year I was thinking maybe I need to increase the allowance for my weekly spending.

I was poundering this I thought about my daughters and what good little budgeters (I think I made that word up) they are. I also was thinking the example I am setting for my grandchildren. I decided not to increase my budget instead to curtail my spending. I have had my daughters teach me about their coupon shopping and I have tried it for about three months now. I notice a difference right away typically I was spending $150-200 a week in grocery's. and instantly I was saving 20-30%. This month is when I noticed the huge difference because the concept is about filling your pantry and only buying what your pantry needs and only buying what is on the best sale. Now I am only spending $50-$100 a week. I found with this savings plus watching for sales on other items I am saving $200-$150 a week from my previous weekly budget (and I thought I needed to increase it). I added the link to my blog on the right hand side "Smart Shoppers" if any one is interested.

I also have a blog for consumers looking for a mortgage called Mortgage Loans . (I know that is a very original name) I work in the mortgage wholesale world so I have nothing to gain by this blog it is only trying to help people from making mortgage mistakes. There are Hugh opportunity to save on your mortgage. I also have other blogs for Mortgages but they are more for the professional in the Mortgage business but you are always welcome to check them out.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I thought you were going to blog about the New York savings jar when I say the title! :)

Crowther family said...

You are so cute!! Great Post!!